9/2/05

Why Didn't They Just Hire a Limo Like That Other Family?

Most of the time I try not to let myself think that the people running our country literally couldn't care less if black people die. But sometimes it's hard to avoid that conclusion.

Via Josh Marshall, here's what Michael Brown, the head of FEMA, said on CNN yesterday:

BROWN: Well, I think the death toll may go into the thousands. And unfortunately, that's going to be attributable a lot to people who did not heed the evacuation warnings. And I don't make judgments about why people choose not to evacuate.

But, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans. And to find people still there is just heart wrenching to me because the mayor did everything he could to get them out of there. And so we've got to figure out some way to convince people that when evacuation warnings go out, it's for their own good. Now, I don't want to second guess why they did that. My job now is to get relief to them.


I can't stand these fucking people any more.