7/11/07

I guess maybe everyone already knew this, but Ryan Lizza is going to be the new Washington correspondent for The New Yorker. This is totally a brilliant move on their part. Over the last couple years, the worst thing about The New Yorker has been its political coverage, which has almost never gone beyond rehashing the most conventional of conventional wisdom. Jeffrey Goldberg, though apparently a great reporter and writer on the Middle East, was never cut out to do the job, as a former New Yorker writer recently admitted to me. (Ha! this makes it seem like I hang out with former New Yorker writers all the time!) Lizza understands politics, and how it's changed in the last decade, and how to write about campaigns, in a way that no one I've ever seen writing for The New Yorker does, and he's also just a great reporter. Also a nice guy, in my limited interactions with him.