2/27/06

So about that 'being finished' thing ...

I readjusted my monitors a little bit, and listened to "I Love You Monster" in between some other things, and ... anyway, the upshot is, I went back and mastered it again to boost the low end a little bit. I had been going for a bass-light '70s-AM-radio vibe -- I was listening to the Go! Team record a lot, and there's almost no bass at all on there -- but either I overdid it or I don't have the courage of my convictions. (The fact that the recording sounds nothing like '70s AM radio in any other respect, apart from the percussive static in the second verse, didn't help.) Anyway, the new version is up at the same place. The change is nothing too dramatic -- just three dB or so, around 95Hz -- and it's not like there's anything too interesting going on down there anyway. (The bassline consists of one note over and over again. I was hoping that this device would make the song equal in magnificence to "Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher" by Jackie Wilson; it didn't.) But, you know, it was that or spend the rest of my life thinking of that song as "the one without enough low end." We are now, I promise, finished.