4/19/06

Speaking of the NYT mag's graphic novel thing...

...I'd be interested to know what you thought of Chris Ware's maiden effort. I loved it. Sometimes, as a reader new to the form, it was hard to figure out which box you were supposed to read next, but I loved how realistic the dialogue was, and how perfectly he captured those everyday feelings of ennuie and sadness. I really grew to care about that poor one legged woman and to hope that she found love and happiness. Unfortunately, I missed what seemed like the key, penultimate, installment, so when I read the last one which was set five years later, and she had a baby and partner, I didn't know how that had come about. But I assume the partner is that nice Tom guy who she met at the restaurant and then had the abortive couch-kissing session with, and that their courtship was predictably awkward/poignant. Right?